In the neighborhood
What things can you do at this places? Bank, laundromat, post office, movie theater
You can save money in a bank.
You can do your laundry at the laundromat.
You can buy stamps at the post office.
You can see a movie and eat pop corn at the movies.
Do you know where I can __________?
get a cup of coffee
get some hiking boots
get some cat food
buy some milk
buy some pants
grab a hamburger
get some aspirin
see a movie
buy a book
mail a letter
buy some CDs
get a bite to eat
Asking and Giving Directions
Ask about an specific place:
A: Excuse me, Where's the Bridge theater?
B: It's on Albany Avenue
It's on the corner of Bloor Street
Vocabulary and exercises:
1. Giving Directions
2. Directions to the post office
3. Directions to the cinema
4. A game on giving directions: Hangman
5. How to give directions (complete exercise by BBC)
6. Giving Directions
7. practice phrases
8. Listening exercise
Prepositions of Location
2. Excellent guide to prepositions
How much . How many
There is - There are
1. make a collage of places in your city. Write sentences telling what you can do there.
2. Get a map of your city and select an area to describe. Tell what places are there and write 4 conversations asking for and giving directions.