Things to do and say
Things we are doing:
Listening to music
playing the guitar
Telling what you are doing right now
|Pio is drawing a kitten|
A: What is Pionia doing?
B: She's drawing a kitten.
|Pio is reading a book.|
She's reading a book.
|She is sitting down and relaxing on a chair.|
How are you doing?
A. Hi, Mary. How are you doing?
B. Great. How about you?
A: I'm okay.
Pronunciation: Question intonation
Are you cooking?
What are you doing?
Taking about school subjects
A: what school do you go to?
B: I go to Engineering school in URBE.
A. What are your favorite subjects?
B. English and math. What about you?.
A: what classes are you taking this trimester?
B: I’m taking a six classes… a math class, an English class, ….
A: How are you doing in your classes?
B: I’m dong well in English but I’m not doing so well in math.
Grammar Points to Practice
The present continuous
A: What are you doing?
B: I’m listening to music.
|I||I am playing.||I am not playing.||Am I playing?|
|he, she, it||He is playing.||He is not playing.||Is he playing?|
|you, we, they||You are playing.||You are not playing.||Are you playing?|
Cook - cooking
Study - studying
Come - coming
Swim - Swimming
Actions happening right now
I’m studying for a test right now.
Craig is talking on the phone
Actions happening these days
I’m taking six classes this trimester
Maria is studying at engineering school
1. Exercise 1 - Form
2. Exercise 2 - Affirmative Sentences
3. Exercise 3 - Negative Sentences
4. Exercise 4 - Yes/No questions
5. Exercise 5 - Information Questions
1. Make a photo story with photos of people doing things. Write sentences. Use animoto. http://www.animoto.com
2. Look for a photo with lots of people doing different things. Write sentences describing what they are doing. Use positive and negative sentences. Look at the following example:
The birds are singing.
The cat is climbing the tree to catch the poor little birds.
Paul is watering the flowers..... Paul isn't reading a book.
The ducks are swimming. They're not flying.
3. Interview yourself and two friends about your school life. Record your conversation or make a video. Use the following questions:
How are you doing?
What's your name?
Where are you from?
what school do you go to?
What trimester are you in?
Are you a freshman, sophomore, junior or senior?
What are your favorite subjects?
what classes are you taking this trimester?
How are you doing in your classes?
Write three paragraghs, reporting your interview