Second Life... What's Second Life? many will ask.. According to their site: " Second Life is a free online virtual world imagined and created by its Residents. From the moment you enter Second Life, you'll discover a fast-growing digital world filled with people, entertainment, experiences and opportunity."
This is a great short video to tell you some basic things to go for it...
Second Life can be anything you want it to be.. But now, what should and educator do in SL? Play games? have an avatar? aren't those things for kids to play with? ... The answer is yes, and no.. Second Life is for everybody. An educators should profit from this great virtual world and be brave and ship off in an adventure in this new world.
As a matter of fact, They encourage educators to go inworld to meet other educators and learn how to teach classes, network, and interact with students in new and unique ways in the virtual world. The best part is--it's free.
The International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE), is one of the many vibrant education communities in Second Life, will help you discover education-related areas in Second Life through the New Educator Pilot Program, which offers many benefits and resources including:
- Live "Docents" volunteer assistance during regularly scheduled hours
- Scheduled tours, speaker series, and special events
- Showcased destinations and educational uses of SL
- Socials to learn from other educators about how they are using SL
- Tools to enable your educational uses of SL
- Additional tutorials to help you land on your feet